Christmas is my very favorite time of the year. I love Christmas because it inspires us to think of other people first.
- We do nice things for each other.
- We smile (and perhaps wave) at perfect strangers.
- We spend more time together.
- We help those who are not as fortunate as we are.
- We desire to bring joy to others.
Even though Christmas has become highly commercialized (no soap box here) I think it’s still a valuable opportunity for us to offer more of ourselves – not more money, more gifts, or even more time…but more SPIRIT.
This December, let’s be more intentional about how we spend our money, about which gifts we choose, about with who and how we spend our time. Let’s not strive to DO better – let’s strive to BE better.
Here are some ideas for you to try out – ways to share your Spirit with the people you love and perhaps with the people who need love.
- Volunteer: http://www.volunteermatch.org/
- Practice Presence: Go tech-free this month. Actually spend some time talking. Google some game ideas and have fun with your friends and family. Take photos together…yes, Mom…you can get in the photos too!
- Write your story: Want to leave a legacy and have a tradition that really means something? Check out my post about our new Christmas tradition, our Story Book.
- Donate: Before the new gifts come rolling in, go through the closets, toy chests, basement, and attic to find gently used items that you can give to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. You won’t miss them and someone else would probably be very appreciative.